Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wordless/ful Wednesday

What musical instrument am I?



Answer to last Wordless/ful Wednesday: Piccolo


A piccolo is like a small flute. The piccolo is made from wood, metal, gold, or plastic and is used in classical and marching bands. The piccolo is used as an ornamental instrument and plays an octave above the flute. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccolo)


Here is an example of what the piccolo sounds like (the music starts playing 45 seconds into the video) :





(Ayla Emanet on piccolo)

11 comments:

The Farmer Files said...

awww I LOVED it when I lived in Northern VA and the different military bands would play the piccolo!

Claremont First Ward said...

so that's what a piccolo looks like! :)

Susan said...

Today's is a tough one, but I think it might be a bassoon. Not a very popular instrument, but I think I remember what it looks like and that seems right.

tiarastantrums said...

clarinet bassoon?? I am so not musically inclined!!

Kaci said...

Bass Clarinet?

Weeksie50 said...

I think its a bass clarinet too..

Danyele Easterhaus said...

tidbit...i play the piccolo and actually have 2. ok, i should restate that. i played the piccolo for a number of years. i can pick it up and make some decent music, but i've lost the touch. i actually was thinking of taking some lessons again...why not?

Susan said...

Boy, that is not what piccolo's looked like in my day. I played the flute and on rare occasion, the piccolo, and it was just a miniture version of my flute.

AutoSysGene said...

Yikes, I thought it was an oboe...thanks for teaching me something new today!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a baffoon, I mean a bassoon.
Cool, I got last week's pic correct. My third grade music teacher would be so proud, smile.

Daisy said...

What fun! I can't honestly "guess" because I am a former music teacher, my mom plays oboe, and my children both play in orchestras. But as a former tuba player (tubist?), I love this instrument. :)