Dancing to Music
Dancing is a great way for your kids to listen to music and to get exercise. In this activity we will be dancing to music in many different ways:
1. Follow the leader. Turn on some music and imitate what the other dancer is doing. See how fun you can make this by turning on different styles of music!
2. Freeze Dance. Turn on some music and randomly stop the music. When the music is stopped, have your kids freeze in place. Now turn the music back on and have your kids dance again.
3. Dance to the tempo of the music. Have your kids move their bodies to slow and fast paced music.
4. Imitate different styles of music through dance. Play many different styles of music for your kids to dance too. For example, turn on a waltz and have your kids waltz around the room. Turn on the nutcracker and have your kids dance like a ballerina. Turn on a march and have your kids march around the house.
5. Have your kids wave scarves, streamers, or ribbons while dancing.
6. Let your kids leap and jump over tubs, cardboard bricks, or other safe objects while dancing.
7. Add on dance moves. Have a child make up a dance move. Have a second child copy the first child's dance move and then add on a second dance move. Have a third child copy the first two dance moves and then add on a third dance move, and so on. See how well the children can remember the order of the dance moves.
8. Turn on a dance video. Let your kids try to imitate what the dancers are doing on the screen. Ballet or hip hop is great for this exercise.